MORE Upcoming Course Offerings
AOW-2016-004 Advance Open Water Diver Oct 8/9
*Course may be offered in September, dependent on interest shown. Please let us know if you would be interested in a course in September.
(min 2 people, max 6 people)
Excitement, experience, and exploration is what the Advanced Open Water Diver course is all about. You don’t have to be “advanced” to take this course. It is designed so that you can go straight into it after the Open Water Diver course. The idea is to build on what you have already learned and gain more experience under the supervision of an instructor. You’ll extend your maximum depth to 100′ and gain experience in different types of diving such as night and wreck.
This course consists of 5 dives and can be completed in one weekend.
Course: $299 + tax (Now including Adventure slate!)
Boat Dive Fee: $50 + tax (for a day on the boat to accomdate a deep dive and a wreck dive, lunch included!)
Optional Gear Rentals: $80-$100 for a full kit rental for the weekend (wet or drysuit)
Optional eLearning Crew Pak: $76.35 + tax includes Adventure Dives Slate, Surface Marker Buoy (SMB) and whistle
What You’ll Learn
The PADI Advanced Open Water course requires 2 mandatory dives and 3 electives.
The 2 mandatory dives are:
- Deep Dive: this dive introduces you to the basic skills you’ll need to dive to 100 feet; this is a mandatory dive. We perform this dive on the world famous Bell Island Shipwrecks.
- Underwater Navigation: this dive introduces you to more ways to use your underwater compass, how to navigate using kick-cycles, natural navigation and time; this is the second mandatory dive.
You have many choices for your elective dives. Some of the most popular ones include:
- Peak Performance Buoyancy: gain more experience with buoyancy control, as well as anti-silting finning techniques such as the frog kick, which not only prevents you from kicking up the bottom, but also requires less energy and therefore improves your air consumption rate.
- Wreck Dive: We are fortunate enough to be only a boat ride away from some of the best WW2 shipwrecks in the world. On this elective dive, you’ll learn how to safely dive around wrecks and identify points of interest as well as potential hazards.
- Boat Dive: Join us on the Ocean Quest Mermaid and learn the ins and outs of diving from a boat, descending on mooring lines and possibly seeing our world class Bell Island Shipwrecks.
- Search and Recovery Dive: This dive builds on your navigation skills to locate lost objects underwater and adds the skills of proper knot tying and lift bag usage to bring them to the surface safely.
- Night Dive: the night life on the ocean floor is quite different than during the day; learn how to use your lights and other skills required to safely enjoy night diving, while enjoying the spectacular light show of the bioluminescent phytoplankton.
*Purchase of additional equipment may be required for some Adventure Dives. (ie. Light needed for Night Adventure Dive)
What You’ll Need
To start your PADI Advanced Open Water course, you must meet the following requirements:
- Hold an Open Water Diver certification from PADI or a similar certification from another recognized scuba diver training organization.
- Be 15 years or older (12 for Junior Advanced Open Water Diver)
In addition to your scuba equipment (suit, mask, snorkel, fins, BCD, regulator and tanks), you will need:
- a cutting tool such as a dive knife
- compass (may be on rental or personal regulator)
If you don’t own your equipment we have great packages to get you geared up, drop by shop to get suited up. We also have rentals available at reasonable rates.
Student Info Required: (to use when people make an account)
Date Of Birth
Full Address (street # & name, city/town, province/state, country, postal code)
**Education Materials subject to change as they are controlled by PADI Canada.